4 WAYS YOUR PILLOW IS DESTROYING YOUR BATTLE WITH ACNE
1. Dirt. When you have acne, it means that you have inflammation and have to be aware of the dirty stuff around you. My advice is change pillow cover every two days. One day sleep on one side, the other on other side. Then strictly wash it. Never do the stupid pillow fight when pillows end up on the floor. You do not want that dirt you find on floor to be on your face. Do not allows pets –dogs and cats on your pillows.
Most people sleep six to eight hours each night in direct contact with bedding fabrics that provide no benefit or harm to the healing process of acne.
For your skin to breath and heal. I recommend you stay away from polyester, linen or cotton pillow cases.
Why silk should be your best choice?
- Silk pillows are hypoallergenic and won’t draw moisture from the skin and body.
- Silk is a natural heat regulator, so you cool when you are hot and warm when it is cold. It will make sure that you do not sweat and don’t get clogged pores.
- Silk doesn’t collect dust and house mites like other pillow cases. One company claims that the protein sericin repels mites and fungi, making for a cleaner sleeping surface for sufferers of asthma and other allergies.
Dust mites frequently cause allergies. Symptoms of dust mite allergies include: watery/itchy/red eyes, runny nose, wheezing, sneezing, asthma, infantile eczema, nasal congestion, itchy mouth or throat, cough, facial pressure and pain, inability to sleep restfully, blue skin under eyes.
Be also aware, that feather pillows can cause snoring, because they often cause allergic rhinitis.
3. Laundry detergent. Laundry detergent can affect your skin More than you might imagine. Actually it does affect your health.
Laundry detergent and fabric softeners are full of toxins and allergens, and you use it to wash your pillow which your face rests on for 8 hours a day! Wouldn’t this be enough to consider it as a risk for acne breakouts?
Common laundry detergents contain phosphates, ammonia, naphthalene, phenol, optical brighteners, artificial fragrances, EDTA etc. These chemicals can cause rashes, itches, allergies and sinus problems.
Use laundry soap that is free of phosphates, petroleum solvents, chlorine, perfumes, dyes, animal by-products.
Best seller in Amazon.co.uk in powder detergents category. No surprise!
Most people sleep on the pillows which cause discomfort. It leads to snoring issues and low quality sleep. You have to sleep for at least 8 hours. Quality sleep. Deprived sleep has a very strong enetaive horrible effect on acne.
A lack of a quality sleep could:
– Increase insulin resistance. It seems that not only hyperglycemic diets, but also lack of sleep contribute to acne inflammation.
– Increase inflammatory cytokines. Inflammatory cytokines are responsible to inflammation and flushes
– A lack of sleep promote stress and an increase of cortisol in the body. Cortisol in turn causes the skin to secrete more sebum.
Ways how to increase your sleep quality.
- Invest in a pillow which is comfortable.
- Stop drinking coffee.
- Learn to relax and get quality sleep 8 hours per day.
- Avoid light in your room, which might cause lack of deep sleep.
- Don’t eat 2 hours before bedtime.